Friday, January 14, 2011

Thinking bout nothing

Hello from the wintry city of Edmonton! I have arrived and am in awe of how much snow is around.

I arrived on Wednesday evening at 6pm (local time) and went to work the next morning at 7:30am. I am working at a floral warehouse or rather a wholesale supplier. And when I told my dear friend Laura where I was working, she laughed for a hearty 3 minutes (approximately). So, I'm not a total flower person so yes, its a little funny.

But let me tell you - the past two days I felt like shooting myself. Today, I created the same display over and over again for 8 hours. I spent a lot of time in my head! And my thoughts were not that exciting. More or a less attempting to remain sane telling myself "I have a B.A, this is only temporary, I have a B.A, this is only temporary." :) But I am so very thankful for this job regardless of the repetitious work. In fact, this may not even be temporary so I should probably stop talking in case my boss is reading this... (Actually, I just saw that he is a follower of this blog, so all you need to read is, I LOVE THIS JOB.)

I'm sure I will have more stories to tell of my adventures in the flower world. So look forward to that.

So, what's the most repetitive job you've had?

All the best from the Forgotten Nomad.



4 comments:

  1. not only is he your boss, and reading this blog.. you live with him, you nutter.. better watch out for those Edmonton squirrels!

    Most repetitive job.. I worked at a photography studio when i was 14. Geri had the fun job.. she went to all the local hospitals and photographed all the newborn babies. I worked in the order/print room.. I had to punch out babies heads (no kidding) with an oversized hole punch.. and make jewelry/key rings with them.. and slice all the pics down to size. Not a job you wanted or could daydream at too much otherwise you'd lose a finger.

    That was the summer of papercuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My most repetitive job would have to be working on the production line at a green house. For eight hours a day, I would stand beside a conveyer belt and as plants came down the conveyer belt, I would pick them up, wrap them in fancy plastic paper with an elastic and then put them back on the belt. I recommend listening to talking books on an ipod while working, if that is allowed. If not, try playing mind games to help the day pass along more rapidly. For example, one day I tried to count all the plants that passed me throughout the eight hours. Or I would break apart the letters in each plant name and count how many other words I could spell with those letters. My favourite game was to prescribe personalities to the plants. Tulips tended to be top heavy, so they often fell right off the conveyer belt. I interpreted this fall as a desperate leap in attempt of self conclusion that resulted from a state of suicidal depression. Roses sometimes also took the leap, but they were motivated by separation anxiety. Their thorny leave covered branches were often tangled with eachother in a lover's embrace. Removing one plant was often too much for its partner to bare and when their grasp was not enough to prevent the separation, death presented itself as the only other option. Finally Kalanchoes have leaves that are large, thick and sturdy. These leaves did not easy fit into the plastic sleeves we had to fit them into. For this reason, I considered these plants to be paranoid claustrophobics. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. snow, ahh...
    we got about 6 inches in Atlanta last Sunday night... which was more than the last 10 years, and because there are essentially no snowplows here, the city was almost shut down for a few days. quite different than Canada!
    at my retirement home job, i worked to help fill and tie 600 favor bags... each with their own little bag of 25 candies. i cant really think about other stuff while counting to 25 over and over, but i could think while tying all the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most repetitive job? Telling you to get back to work! ba ha!

    The BOSS!

    ReplyDelete