Sunday, January 30, 2011

Choose Your Own Career

I have been told it has been too long for a new post and for that I apologize! This is a wee bit more of a serious post.

So, careers have been on my mind for a while now. People keep asking me, "so what exactly are you doing in Edmonton?"
Me: "I work in a corner office with marble floors and a gold desk."

That is what I want to say but alas, my response is a woeful tale of being unemployed for a long time and then having the opportunity to work as a general labourer for a family friend. To which, people say, "oh well, I'm sure you will find your career soon. Just be patient."

But do I dare ask the question - WHEN? It has almost been two years since I've graduated and I don't have much to show. My dream is to work in a communications department in a non-profit organization. This is my dream.

My reality is slightly different.

My favourite blogger Jon Acuff (www.stuffchristianslike.net) is writing a new book about people who are currently working at something but have a dream to do something else. Like being an accountant but wanting to be a painter.

What is your dream? And are you pursuing it right now?

1 comment:

  1. Hey again,
    I am bothered when people say "be patient" about finding a career too. I think it's like telling a sick person to "hang in there"--all they can think about is the dissatisfaction with their current situation, and therefore the wisdom of the advice falls on deaf ears.
    I don't know if this matters, but it helps me to remember who's standards I'm living by. By this i mean, society's idea of the big shots we should be right now, shouldn't matter, but instead our own contentment does. I know i sound like a grandma, but if u can find a way to be happy in the flower shop, find parts of it u love and laugh at everything you hate, ur set for life...even if ur dreams (heaven forbid) don't come true.
    What kind of non-profit organization do u hope to work for?
    My dream is to be a therapist. It's far far off as of yet.

    ReplyDelete