Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Crazies Edition - My Experience with Pot

Hello All!

So, as you know, I am living in Edmonton currently. This city is full of interesting characters. I attribute it to the northern climate. You know, people go crazy with such long winters. And there are long winters and many crazies here as a result. It doesn't really matter what neighbourhood you live in either.

I would consider my neighbourhood to be pretty basic middle class type living. So, I was walking home from church on a Saturday evening. The sun was just setting so it was getting darker as I walked home. About 5 minutes from my house, I saw this man walking toward me. He was kinda walking funny and he had these huge rubber boots on with his jogging pants tucked into them. Under my breath, I was like "dear Jesus, please keep me safe." Then as I got closer he turned his back to me and had his feet spread apart. Then my heart started beating a little more. I was like what is he doing and how am I going to get around him? I got closer and closer and as just as I was about to pass him, he turned around and looked me right in the eye.

I thought he was smoking a cigarette but then I smelled the smoke and realized it definitely was not. Living at the house I did in University, I know the smell of pot so well. Eh, Keefer ladies? The people who lived above us, smoked it a lot.

And so, anyway, as I walked quickly past him, he said to me:

"Sorry about the pot smoke."

I mean what do you say to that? I didn't want to engage him in conversation so I said, "Oh, that's OK." And then he yelled after me, "You're welcome."

Most of the crazies here are pretty harmless but I must say that I have feared more for my safety here than in Toronto. But there are definitely a lot of crazies. Dang winters.




2 comments:

  1. oh dear.. poor E.T... you should have lived in Jordan for a wee bit to acclimatize yourself...

    it often smells skunky here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to clarify.. not in our house... but you knew that, right?????

    ReplyDelete