Sunday, July 10, 2011

Always Look Before Crossing

Hello All!

So, as most of you know, I have recently returned to Ontario from Alberta. The transition has come fairly naturally except for one event that should be as natural as showering.

Crossing the road.

As far back as I can remember, I can remember being told "always look before crossing the street!" And I did all the time. When I was crossing the street I would make sure those turning right were stopping or those turning left saw me crossing.

But I was a wee bit spoiled in the land of Alberta. You see, in Alberta, one merely needs to stand at the edge of a road and the cars will stop for the pedestrians. This happened on time for me when I was not even at a crosswalk.

But if there are white lines on the road indicating a pedestrian crosswalk, those cars will stop without any hesitation. When I first arrived in Edmonton, I was hesitant to cross without using any form of lighting signal. But when I was at a crosswalk, a fella who was approaching the crosswalk barely slowed his pace before stepping out onto the road. But sure enough, the cars stopped creating a Red Sea effect on a busy Edmonton road. I scurried on through behind him before the cars smelled my Ontario blood.

So, alas, here I am back in Ontario and having had that pedestrian power for so long, it is difficult to give back my power to the cars in Toronto. I have to remember to always watch the cars and make sure they will indeed stop for me. There is no longer a luxury of expecting cars to stop but merely attempting to dodge them and avoid getting honked at.

It makes me wonder why in Alberta, cars hold a certain amount of respect for the pedestrian while in Toronto, there is very little respect. Some might say that it ties in with busy, snobby stereotype while Alberta has old western values. Who knows.

But all I can say, is you best be careful when crossing those Toronto roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment