Thursday, July 28, 2011

"I Believe You Have My Stapler?"

Hello all!

My apologies for the long wait. But lots has happened since the last post. First of all, I got a job! It is my first time into the culture of the office.

So, I have watched "The Office" since the beginning but nothing could have prepared for the life of working in an office. I have been conditioned to factory/warehouse life for so long that its hard to adjust to office life.

Let me explain - in factories and warehouses you have the same break and lunch everyday. There is no flexibility in this whatsoever. In an office, I can take a break whenever I want and lunch whenever I want. So weird.

And then there is the whole concept of always being busy. I had to curb my all consuming fear that my supervisor would walk by and "catch" me talking to somebody for 1 minute. In one factory I worked at, you could not talk or listen to the radio. It was like boot camp. So, now I can relax and talk for a bit with my co-workers and not worry that I will get my head cut off if I do.

And finally, another big difference is the lack of a broom in my hand. Whenever I had nothing really to do, the rule of thumb was to pick up a broom and sweep. Perhaps the cleaner in the office might appreciate me not curbing that tendency.

I am sure I will have more stories about working in an office but for now, this is my intro to the office culture.

Question - I will give you an invisible handshake if you can tell me where that quote is from for my blog title.

3 comments:

  1. Nope! But I forgot that movie also had a scenario with a stapler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Office Space. hilarious.

    so thrilled for you E.T.!!! very happy for you indeed! :) great spending time with you this weekend too.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete