Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Elevators

Hello all!

So, I currently reside in a high rise condo building. And there are many older folks in my building. And no, I do not live in a retirement building, in case that's what you are thinking...

So, there are about 20 floors in this building and we have two elevators to service all 20 floors. Usually, its not a huge issues but when one elevator is out, you really notice that it only has two elevators.

But I have noticed a very humourous situation when it comes to waiting for elevators. People love to think that they have an immense amount of control when it comes to elevator buttons. I was waiting for the elevator with this older lady and both elevators were hanging around the 18th floor. This lady incessantly kept pressing the up button. I think she thought that the elevator just didn't know that people were waiting on the ground. That if she kept pressing that button, the elevator would just immediately race down to the ground and pick her up.

I don't know what it is about pressing buttons that makes us think we have some control. I heard on Ellen one time that if you press the door close button at the same time you press your floor button that it will go directly to your floor bypassing all other floors. I tried that and Ellen lied. It doesn't work.

Next time you are near an elevator watch what people do when they are waiting. I bet you that at least one person will press the button more than once hoping to control the elevator.

Do you?

2 comments:

  1. Yes ma'am I do, but I am prone to do that more at street lights.

    Next time you are in an elevator you should pay attention to how people act. I recently had a couple semi-awkward conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. تركيب مصعد

    ReplyDelete